In November 2015 the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung, BMBF) has announced the “Medical Informatics Funding Scheme” (Medizininformatik-Initiative, MI-I), to foster IT innovations for healthcare research and medical care. The goal is to take advantage of digitalization in medicine, to link data and generate medical knowledge, and to develop and apply innovative IT solutions for a better, data-based healthcare delivery system.
MIRACUM – this is eight universities with eight university hospitals, two universities of applied sciences and one industrial partner spread over five German states. In July 2017, the BMBF announced that MIRACUM (Medical Informatics for Research and Care in University Medicine), as one of four consortia, receives funding of €32 Mio to implement the envisaged projects. The spotlight is here on the data integration centres that will be embedded in the hospital IT-infrastructure and will facilitate the collection and exchange of data within the consortia university hospitals. Three use cases shall prove the effectivity of the innovative infrastructure with direct and prompt improvement of patient care. Data protection and data security are given top priority in this venture. Further we will elaborate a programme for strengthening medical informatics by extending the academic offer, including new professorships in the field of medical informatics, a novel, innovative master programme and personnel training.
The MIRACUM partners have agreed to share data, based on interoperable data integration centres, develop common and interoperable tools and services, realize the power of such data and tools in innovative IT solutions, which shall enhance patient-centred collaborative research as well as clinical care processes, and finally to strengthen biomedical informatics in research, teaching and continued education.
Prof. Prokosch is the MIRACUM Coordinator;
Prof. Acker (Gießen University) is the MIRACUM Deputy Coordinator
- Term: 08/2016 – 04/2017
- Sponsor: BMBF 01ZZ1606H
- Medical Faculty of the Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg
- University Hospital Erlangen
- Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum
- Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universität Frankfurt
- University Hospital Frankfurt
- Medical Faculty of the University of Freiburg
- Medical Center – University of Freiburg
- Faculty of Medicine of the Justus-Liebig-University Gießen
- University Hospital Gießen and Marburg GmbH, Gießen
- Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Applied Sciences Gießen
- University Medical Center Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz
- Medical Faculty Mannheim of the Ruprechts-Karls-University Heidelberg
- University Medical Center Mannheim
- University of Applied Sciences Mannheim, Institut for Medical Informatics
- Medical Faculty of the Philipps-University Marburg
- University Hospital Gießen-Marburg, Department Marburg